As the state capitol this building has been the scene of many historic events including an address by General Douglas C. MacArthur before a joint session of the legislature from the steps of the building in 1952.
The Old State Capitol is an excellent example of Greek Revival, conceived and erected on a monumental scale. The Capitol was the seat of government from 1840-1903. It was the site of addresses by Andrew Jackson (1840), Henry Clay (1843), passage of the Ordinance of Secession (1861) and a final address by Jefferson Davis (1884).
The Governor's Mansion is the finest example of the work of William Nichols in the domestic Greek Revival style. One of only four continuously used governor's mansions in the U.S. that dates before the Civil War, this is by far the most architecturally distinguished.
Constructed ca. 1857, the Manship House is the finest extant Gothic Revival structure in Jackson, Mississippi, and is one of the few fully developed "Cottage Gothic" residences in the state. The design of the facade, or west elevation, is clearly derived from Figure 128 in Andrew Jackson Downing's influential pattern book "The Architecture of Country Houses" (1850). The residence was built for Charles H. Manship (1812-1895), an ornamental painter and civic leader who was serving as mayor of Jackson when the city surrendered to General William T. Sherman on July 16, 1863. Charles Manship's son, Luther, who spent his early years at the residence, was also a distinguished Mississippian, serving as lieutenant governor of the state during the Edmund F. Noel administration, 1908-1912.
The Oaks is one of the four earliest private houses known to have survived in Jackson dating from the pre-Civil War period. The Oaks was built by James H. Boyd, a prominent citizen of Mississippi's capital city. He was elected Mayor of Jackson four times, served as Alderman and Justice of the Peace.
MISSISSIPPI INTERNET TELEVISION STATIONS FOR SALE
Click here to request more information.