This house was built for Colonel Joseph Nightingale, wealthy partner in a Providence shipping firm, and has been owned by the Brown family since 1814.
Built in 1791, this large, three-story frame building is one of the most elegant houses in Providence.
This brick mansion was the home of General Edward Carrington, a very successful merchant and trader who assembled an outstanding collection of furnishings, including many Chinese things, for this house in the early 19th century.
This large brick house, built in 1895, is an example of the revival of late 18th and early 19th century architectural forms.
The Old State House
This building is one of the two eighteenth century colony houses in Rhode Island, the other being in Newport. It was one of the seats of Rhode Island government from 1762 until the erection of the present State House which was put into use in 1901. The Colony House is one of the early brick buildings in Providence, and preserves interesting interior finish.
The structure is important as the seat of Rhode Island's state government. It is also important as a monument to the art and taste of its era, as a dominant and handsome feature of the Providence cityscape, and as an example of the work of McKim, Mead and White, an important architectural firm at the turn of the century.
Stephen Hopkins, Governor of Rhode Island, Chief Justice of the Rhode Island Supreme Court, Chancellor of Brown University, member of the Continental Congress, signer of the Declaration of Independence, lived in this house from 1743 'til his death in 1785. The house, at which George Washington was a guest, is a well-restored example of a mid-eighteenth century wooden structure.
RHODE ISLAND INTERNET TELEVISION STATIONS FOR SALE
Click here to request more information.